Last summer my neighbor asked me to join her in co-leading a Girl Scout troop. I did not participate in Girl Scouts in my childhood days, my interest was in sports, so I really had no idea what I was about to agree to do or what Girl Scouts really entailed. I said, "Sure" and we officially became Daisy troop #10344. It has been a fun and rewarding journey so far.
Part of Daisies is each girl earns petals to complete the daisy patch. We have been creative and have participated in some fun activities with the girls. For the Christmas season, one of my favorite projects was the Soldier project. We created a cute little letter signed by all the girls and ornaments and sent holiday greetings to soldiers overseas. It has been very exciting opening the mailbox to find letters written in return from various personalities from all over the world.
Last weekend a few went to see Disney's Princesses on Ice. It was a great performance and the girls thouroghly enjoyed it. Of course they raved about their favorite princess.
The latest project was the Riley project. The girls drew pictures, we assembled a gift bag of goodies consisting of playdough, crayons, paper, and candy for kids at Rylie hospital and collected pop tabs to send to the Ronald McDonald House. Not only does this warm my heart that we were doing a charitable project, but the responses from the girls were amazing. My own daughter is infatuated with giving to Riley. We received a calendar in the mail and she wanted to share with her friends all the stories about the kids and their pictures drawn in it. The girls did a great job and I think each of them took a little bit of this experience with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment